What engine/language do you use to make games?

Home Forums General What engine/language do you use to make games?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JNyknn
    Participant

This is one of these questions someone must ask in every possible forum.

So, which language/engine/framework do you use to program your wonderful, wonderful games? If you don’t mind, I would also like to know why.

Personally I use C++ for desktop applications and Javascript/HTML5-combination for web games. I use pure HTML5 and no framework, because without any framework I can design my code structure completely by myself. When programming in C++, I use Allegro 5 (+ OpenGL).

Why I use these languages… well, it’s a long story and I’m too lazy to write it here.

NeithR
    Participant

I use which language/engine/framework depends on the platform or the needs:

– I used pure AS3 and Haxe language to make a flash game long ago.
    – I use Haxeflixel framework (using Haxe as basic language) now to make a flash game.
    – I use Game Maker Studio engine to make a Windows platform.
    – I use Power Point to make a game with pdf platform. There is absolutely no coding at all in this engine. I use this engine very often when I am too lazy to think any complex logic and coding.
    – I am also in progress on learning to use Rpg Maker Vx Ace since I am interested in making an rpg gamer.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by NeithR.
    bunnyhero
    Keymaster

good question!

i’ve been using a variety of different languages and tools.

• javascript/html5 – usually with some kind of framework, like createJS, phaser, or pixi.
    • c++ – with cocos2d-x
    • and most recently, c# in unity

i know you’re not supposed to try to learn a new framework or language during a game jam, because of the limited time, but i can’t seem to help myself 😛 i find it gives me extra motivation to learn quickly!

i want to try rpgmaker vx ace, too, since i’ve never made an rpg before.

and i want to give haxe a shot sometime. how do you like it?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 9 months ago by bunnyhero.
    Jupiter Hadley
    Keymaster

I use gamemaker sometimes XD

JNyknn
    Participant

“i know you’re not supposed to try to learn a new framework or language during a game jam”

This is actually how I learned to program in Java and HTML5. Results were not very wonderful, but at least I learned something new!

Without game jams I would be still programming all my games in C++…

Thyl
    Participant

I use HTML5+CSS+JavaScript for quick, experimental projects as it’s fun and fast to release a project.

For more serious and demanding endeavours, I stick with C/C++ and a either a graphics engine (like Irrlicht), or OpenGL. Also planning on using OpenAL for audio.

bunnyhero
    Keymaster

yeah, html5/javascript/css is great for quick experiments, and easy to share. and while i know that it’s possible to package up html5 games into apps, i don’t think i would use it for a final version of a shipping game.

goinrus
    Participant

I think that pretty one is SMB stuff. It’s kinda bloody, more into physics, making the old-school game looks like a bunch of graphics. I’m not into all the developer’s stuff but i think its 100% masterpiece, especially for 3 hours-game: https://rawg.io/games/super-meat-boy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.