I've been thinking of starting my own game jam…

Home Forums Jams I've been thinking of starting my own game jam…

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jacklehamster
    Participant

I don’t really have any resources though. Do people just announce a jam and game devs naturally flock around it?

bunnyhero
    Keymaster

that’s a good question and something i’ve been thinking about lately. what makes for a good game jam? there have been some recent ones with only a couple of entries. i guess, like many things, it’s about promotion, and getting the word out there.

i bet @jupiter has some insight on this!

NeithR
    Participant

This really reminds me when joining TAG9 jam long ago and the winner must host the next jam.
    Lucky I didn’t win that time. I didn’t really know how to host a jam at all nor how to make a good one.
    What I think is, maybe they took a lot of game jams that already happened as samples and took the inspiration from those.

lamorris
    Participant

Having done a few now, I think it’s a mix of the following:

– writing a press release and sending it around, because most indie games websites like to cover game jams!
    – making your game jam concept something new, challenging and most importantly, fun. There are so many game jams around now that people have their pick of them, and if you want to stand out, think outside the box a little rather than just giving a loose theme. I implemented ‘multipliers’ in Monster Mash, which were just challenges you could try to fit in your game, and if you did, you got some pretty pictures on your game jam page.
    – this is just me personally, but I think making your theme too ‘loose’ as I mentioned above kinda puts people off – if it’s just something like ‘make any game within this time limit’, well, people can do that at any time. Specific challenges I feel are a lot more interesting to share participating in with an event, and they might not be things people were planning to do already.
    – having a good, clear jam page, a hashtag and to constantly plug it/be around for questions.

I ranted. I’m sorry!

bunnyhero
    Keymaster

don’t be sorrry! it was a very informative post 😀

Jupiter Hadley
    Keymaster

Honestly, I would suggest using GameJolt’s system, having a good look to your jam and enough time, and getting the word out as much as you can.

JNyknn
    Participant

GameJolt’s jam system is nice, but it’s not open for public yet, right? What one have to do to get access to jam system, contact the moderators or something?

lamorris
    Participant

GameJolt’s system juuuuust got released to the public, now anyone can run a jam there. I like both GJs and itch.io’s systems for different reasons, just feeling lucky we have two great ones to choose from. (:

Jupiter Hadley
    Keymaster

I feel like after the gamejolt system was released, there has been a LOT more jams….

bunnyhero
    Keymaster

agreed. so many jams o_o

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.